Sunday, June 1, 2008

I am probably going to be talking about a ton of different things in this post and I hope that it all makes sense. :-) I have said before that there are 2 things that I don't talk about with people, religion and politics. Well, since this is "my" blog, and I am really not talking "TO" anyone, I am going to write about everything that I learned in church today. I will probably give you my opinion along the way. :-)



I have been thinking all day about the church service this morning. As you all already know, we switched churches several months ago. We are still really enjoying our new "home". Our Pastor is just FULL of information. He knows so many random things. For example, did you know that there are around 500 verses in the Bible about Prayer, around 500 verses about Faith and over 2000 verses about money? Or how about this...for every $1 that an American makes, he/she spends $1.20 of it. So we, on average, spend $.20 more then we make!! Those 2 things really stuck in my head. Our nation is in PANIC because of gas prices, housing market, etc. Something that our Pastor mentioned this morning was that we haven't seen it bad yet. He was talking about how when he was a kid, he remembers sitting in the back seat of his parent's car waiting in line for over 2 hours to get gas...then getting to the pump and there wasn't any gas left to purchase. Can you imagine there not being any gas to buy? People are complaining about not being able to afford the gas prices, but what if gas was $.99 and there just wasn't any being supplied?



He then was talking about how in the Bible, James tells us that earthly wealth and riches will soon perish as quickly as the spring flowers under the searing summer heat. Pastor was so funny. He was trying to give us an example, he went on to tell us how GORGEOUS his grass is right now...green, full, thick, beautiful...until July comes. He said that he knows that it is going to die. :-) He said that it does it every year. He said that it is just a given, no matter what his flowers and grass both die every year in July. He then joked about how he doesn't mind because he doesn't have to mow as much. :-) James uses an illustration..."All flesh is as grass, and all the glory of man as the flower of the grass. The grass withers, and its flower falls away, but the word of our Lord endures forever."



Are your possessions possessing you?

*Are you more driven for material things than you are eternal things?
*Are you currently going further into debt to live a lifestyle you can't afford?
*Are your family relationships suffering because your lifestyle demands two incomes? (this doesn't mean that the wife can not work out of the home. This just simply means that your wife should not have to work out of the home just to make a boat payment, a 4 wheeler payment, and a timeshare payment...make sense?)
*Do you have trouble giving God back a full tithe (10%) of your income?



It just amazes me how many people in this world have everything...the house, the boat, the cabin at the lake, the fancy house...but they have a loan on each item. They don't OWN anything at all!! Is it all really worth it? I just hate it when people say that they don't have any money, but yet the wife isn't working, the husband has all kinds of toys and they expect things to pay for themselves. Just so you guys all know, I am not talking about any one that I know. I am just talking about people in general. So...don't get all sensitive on me. :-) These people just need to go to Dave Ramsy. :-) I know of about 5 different people/couples that have already went to his seminars and I hear that they are AMAZING!!



Well, I am done ranting and raving. I wasn't trying to get all Biblical on you, but I just had to say what was on my mind and that is what this is for.

5 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Sorry, that was me, deleting my "high horse" comments... LOL

I'm glad you're doing so well at your new church... really glad.

*muah*

DG said...

I love your comments. It is a very shocking thing to think about. Honestly I can't imagine not being able to go to the store and buy something I wanted. It's different when they are just sold out, but OUT & not coming back is another story. This makes me feel old but I remember when we got back from Mexico from our mission trip my senior year and as I drove home from church the gas station by my Mom's on 75th street had a line about 50 cars long and I couldn't figure out why, it was because gas was only 75 cents a gallon. 75 cents, that was in 1999. Crazy. I really need to get on Abby about learning how to ride her bike better because at this rate she won't be getting a car at 16!

I have to say that I'm proud of the changes I made in my life and the situation I got myself out of. At one point I was part of the possessions are everything group. Thankfully that along with many other disturbing things helped me to make the best decision of my life and be able to overcome all that. Rickey and I have some nice things, but we are by no means big spenders. I think the "possesion" we value the most would be our big screen and the play station/rock band but I can say that life would go on if we didn't have them. We have simplified and doing that sucked, it is a long process but it's amazing how much better you feel in the end when you have what you need and not a ton more.

We did the Dave Ramsey classes in early 2007, we loved them. You don't have to be broke/bankrupt/or in trouble to do them. It's just fundamentals. It helped Rickey and I a TON because it was very down to earth and simple and it allowed us to be on the same level in regards to a very sensitive subject. All of the work done is done together and in a simplified way so it's not a chore, it's just communication skills that you are learning. It's still a long process but with Dave you start to see the light at the end of the tunnel and that is really the best motivation.

Okay, really, I'm rambling now! Nothing new...adios.

Anonymous said...

Ron and I would highly recommend the Dave Ramsey Financial Peace University classes. We are currently enrolled, and even though we are retired, we are learning lots! Our only regret is that we didn't apply his principles 25 years ago.......
Cindy

P.S. Don't walk....RUN to the next opportunity to sign up for these classes!!!!

Anonymous said...

Dave is fantastic. We are in his class now and it is quite fun being dept free except our house. now we are saving an emergancy fund to have a kid so the Wife does not have to work.