Yesterday was quite the adventure...let me start from the beginning of my week. Sunday morning...
I wake up early with Chase and I start to itch INSTANTLY. My head, my arms, my feet, even the palm of my hands...itching like CRAZY!! At first I thought..."huh...even though I just changed the sheets on our bed last night, we must have little fleas in our bed?!?" Confused and concerned all at the same time, I go into the bedroom and begin to look...NOTHING...
I was even more confused...I had no idea why I would be itching SO MUCH. Well, I waited a few hours until Jeremy got up (he had to work the night before, so I tried to let him sleep and catch up on a few winks), then I told him, "I HAVE TO TAKE A SHOWER NOW!!!! I thought I was going to scratch my eyeballs out.
After the shower, nothing was better. Still scratching, moaning, complaining, etc., etc. Finally I start to make some phone calls for ideas to try to figure out what was going on. I even e-mailed pictures to people (SEE BELOW...you might have to move around to see the pics, but you can see little bumps all over my skin. As well as being REALLY red.)
I got the usual questions back,
1) What have you ate in the last 24 hours?
2) Where have you been in the last 24 hours?
3) When did this start to happen?
I think you get the point. After thinking and thinking and thinking...it hit me!! "I must be allergic to the meds that the doc has me on for this non-stop coughing that I have." I am on my 2nd round of different meds and I just started to take my new prescription consistently the night before. Which is really weird because I have gone 24 years without being allergic to ANYTHING, so I found it hard to believe, but it was the ONLY thing that we ("we" being Jess, Jeremy, and a few people that I work with) could come up with.
So...back to how I think I am dieing...
I went into work Monday morning and people instantly start to ask me what is going on. (I must have looked REALLY bad) I decided that I better go to the doctor again and see if they can help me out before I look like I am on Meth and scratch my skin off. I wait until I am off of work and go to the doctor around 5:00 P.M. The doc. takes 1 look at me and says, "I think we might need to send you to the ER". I kind of freak. I send Jeremy a text that says "I might need you to come home from work because I think I might have to go to the ER, but I will keep you posted" Then the Doc looks at my legs, stomach, back, arms, eyes, ears, throat...THEN SHE FREAKS!! When the doctor freaks out, I really think that I am DIEING!! She informs me that my throat was closing up, my heart was beating WAY TOO FAST, and that I should probably go to the ER and hook up to an IV to get everything back to normal. As I proceed to tell her that I have to pick up Chase in 45 min. and my husband is working (basically that the ER just doesn't fit into my schedule right now), she tells me that she will be right back. She comes back in and informs me that there is a shot I might get, that will hopefully get this under control.
At this point, I have no idea what is going on. I am not sure why I am breaking out with this rash or if I should even be concerned, but I do know that it is starting to spread and get worse (see the picture below of my elbow) We have gone from working all day, seeing the doc., doc. freaking out, possibly an ER trip, to..."I'll be back in a minute."...
SO...she comes back in the room with a bag full of Meds (MY FIRST THOUGHT..."SWEET...FREE MEDS!!"...my second thought..."What in the world is going on?!? My hands were starting to swell up and get blotchy and itch even more. (see pic. below)
The end result?!? I am 24 and just found out that I am allergic to any type of medicine that has SEPH in it. (Don't ask me how to spell or say the full name. I just told that to my pharmacist and he knew what I was talking about and put it in the system.) SO...I am now on Benedryl, Steroids, and XYZOL (some new drug). I am still itching, but I don't look like I am doing drugs anymore. Jeremy doesn't have to up my life insurance before I kick the bucket or have to come home from work early. I still pick up Chase and we just go home like it is a normal day.
It may not sound like it was a big deal, but let me tell you...I HATE going to the doctor. I usually call my Uncle (he is a Med. Lawyer, so he knows all of this medical stuff) and find out what I can take over the counter. So, no worries...I am still here. Alive and kicken'.
On a side note...here is a picture of Chase. He saw me taking pictures of my neck, arm and hand and he thought that we needed to take one of his hand too. My favorite part of the picture is how messy his face is. Can you tell that this was during dinner time?
2 weeks ago




3 comments:
Oh my! I am glad that you were not dieing! Okay you know you could call me and I could have gone and picked up Chase for you! All you would have had to do is let them know I was going to pick him up because you were in the ER!!! Just give me a CALL next time!!!! I am glad that you are okay!
Only you! :) I am glad that you are feeling better, or at least improving. And it's good that they figured out what it is that caused it, at least for future reference! I love the picture of Chase, what a great helper he was for mommy! :) I am diggin the cafeteria plate he is eating on, so cool!
Glad you are ok but i do have one question....do we need to take a nurse along next weekend??? what a day!
Post a Comment