Wednesday, January 7, 2009

The Statue

I thought that I would try to have a "something to think about" weekly post. I am going to do them in the middle of the week. I find myself having a lot of random thoughts throughout the week and I thought that I would try to put that pondering to something useful. These post will just be about things that I come across that just make me sit and think, They will probably make me go "huh...I never thought about that, or I never knew that". Here goes the post for week 1.

(This e-mail was sent to my by Cindy, a GREAT friend. I thought I would just post it on my blog instead of forwarding it on. I have never heard about this statue before and I think that it is something that we should all know about.)



DO YOU KNOW WHAT THIS IS? WHERE THIS IS?

This statue currently stands outside the Iraqi palace,Now home to the 4th Infantry division.

It will eventually be shipped home and put in the memorial museum in Fort Hood, TX.

The statue was created by an Iraqi artist named Kalat, who for years was forced by
Saddam Hussein to make the many hundreds of bronze busts of Saddam that dotted Baghdad.

Kalat was so grateful for the Americans liberation of his country; He melted 3 of the heads of the fallen Saddam and made the statue as a memorial to the American soldiers and their fallen warriors.

Kalat worked on this memorial night and day for several months.

To the left of the kneeling soldier is a small Iraqi girl giving the soldier comfort as he mourns the loss of his comrade in arms.

Do you know why we don't hear about this in the news?

Because it is heart warming and praise worthy..

The media avoids it because it does not have the shock effect.

But we can do something about it.

1 comments:

DG said...

That is an amazing statue. I wish the news would capture more of what it is really like over there, at least in pictures if nothing else. I had a friend who served right after we graduated and he came home with pictures that just blew my mind. The palaces that they have, especially Saddam's were amazing. Gold, yeah, REAL Gold sinks, bathtubs, even toilets. Random Gold and bronze furniture sets, like a couch made of bronze in a courtyard. It was unbelievable. It's sad that they only focus on the shockers, there are plenty of those, but really the world could use a little more peaceful moments, even if it's just about a statue! Great post!